My task is to study existing approaches and solutions (tools) regarding data visualization, visual analytics and afterwards create a prototype (mockup) applying knowledge to the topics of our project.
Some subtopics and directions of study:
- visualization of cooperation networks
- spreading of ideas (flow visualization)
- geospatial network visualization
- time factor visualization
- plagiarism visualization
- diagrammatic reasoning
- geospatial visualization + data mining
So far I’ve partly studied the book “Mastering the Information Age – Solving Problems with Visual Analytics”, papers: Muse: Visualizing the origins and connections of institutions based on co-authorship of publications, Interactive Exploration of Geospatial Network Visualization.
Tools and resources that I find interesting:
- Gephi – an open source tool for graph visualization
- OECD – Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. They gather and present data about socio-economical and political situation in different countries.
- Visual complexity – original ways of visualizing various data.